New Axolotl owner

FungalZombie

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there I'm Nick and I just managed to get myself two axolotls, one is a dark melanoid, and the other is albino.
I currenlty have the two babies in a three gallon tank with a bridge decoration, a plastic plant, a heater and a filter.
I was wondering if I could get tips on welcoming the new little creatures to my home. Also what is a good way to have them travel? I am moving out in the next few days and was wondering if I simply took the bridge and plant out of the tank and held the tank on my lap as we drove it would be fine, but I was also curious if they would do better to go back in a tupper ware container like they were when I first took them home.

I currenlty have the two babies in a three gallon tank with a bridge decoration, a plastic plant, a heater and a filter
What are you doing with a heater in your tank? Get it out before you boil your axies! Axies need 15-18C, if anything you want a chiller not a heater.

Transporting is best done in a sealed container - bag or tub with lid.

No heater for sure. Also it might be smart to have glass between them since they are still in there cannibalistic stage.Good Luck!

A tupperware container with a lid and air holes should be fine; that's how I've moved all my guys.

You will be needing a much bigger tank very quickly. At the minimum, you need about 10 gallons per adult axie, so plan to upgrade as they grow.

I do plan on getting a bigger tank very very very soon actually. Just need to find one and the cash.
These guys are still going to be small for a while so there's no perticular rush, I mean in the matter of weeks that is.

Where could I get my hands on a chiller? It would be a good idea to try to get one since it's summer.

Good luck hunting for a new tank, my little axolotl doesn't need a new/bigger tank yet but I've already started planning for it.

I've been looking at chillers and they seem quite expensive. I have not seen one under $350. I've had good success with a screen top, LED strip light and a fan in front of the tank and another over it blowing right down at it. It's brought my temperature down by 5 degrees F from the room temp. I'm hoping with more and better fans I can bring the temp down lower, but that's a good way for you to start.

Since you live in Canada you might not need to buy a chiller. Unless your house tends to get very warm. You can definitely resort to using frozen water bottles if you need it or use a fan.

Alright, I'll try those methods. We have a pretty powerful AC going in the room so it's usually quite cold, and winter is obviously cold.
But I'll be sure to get a thermometer asap to make sure the temp is right.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back