Do you think I need to completely restart my cycle?

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I just upgraded my tank(50gallon to a 125gallon), due to the amount of cleanin an time it took to water test it plus work and such, i had my 50gallon empty for 3days before i was able to setup the new tank.

I kept all filter media and decorations and plants in the tank water from the 50gallon until they went into the new tank. I bought a new filter but put some of the old media in the new filter plus a sponge filter that was in the 50.

It has been setup for about 3days now and I havent changed any water or anything and these are my test results:

Ammonia- 0.25ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 10ppm

So to me it looks like I may of saved some of my cycle? What do you guys think? I just dont want to wait another 8weeks to cycle a tank. Lol ive done it enough times!

And ps: there are 5 adults in the tank

I don't think there's any need to restart. Seems like you have at least some of the good bacteria in there. Have you read about cycling with animals in your tank? Just keep testing the water and doing water changes as needed so your axies won't suffer from bad water quality while the cycle picks up.

PS. Congrats on the new tank. I'm sure your axies will love all that space!

Thanks! I didnt think i completely lost everything but wasn't sure. And I have cycled every tank ive had with my axolotls in the tank so I know how fun it is (hint of sarcasm).

Hopefully it doesnt take to long.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back