Wild type with purple color?

Lotlladywho

Reaction score
Country
United States
lotlladywho-albums-my-lotl

Hopefully the picture comes thru. So my friend has a pair of axolotls that had eggs and out the eggs we hatched there has been a few that are really purple. What are your thoughts , the parents are GFP wild and dad is a golden albino.

The photos aren't working. Try uploading to imgur I'm pretty keen to see them.

They are in my personel photo album but I am having a hard time getting them to post on the main feed. :confused:

WOW those are absolutely AMAZING. If you ever breed them and get any purple babies let me know!! Is it only under certain lights or are they just always that beautiful color?

I wonder if it's axanthic? I know in snakes the axanthic animals can have a purple hue. It seems to be lacking any yellow pigment in the picture. I still see iridophores and melanophores. Does it have any yellow to it at all? It's beautiful!

Here's one of her pics for the lazy. ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 4,158
I have one similar to yours. I have never noticed the purple colour to him because I take alot of close up pictures of his face and he doesnt look purple. But after seeing your pic, I looked back at one of my photos and wow!! I'll post a picture here soon.

I have one similar to yours. I have never noticed the purple colour to him because I take alot of close up pictures of his face and he doesnt look purple. But after seeing your pic, I looked back at one of my photos and wow!! I'll post a picture here soon.
Wow. And I see you're in Melbourne, like me, so I have to ask - where did you get your purple lotl?
The one pictured in this thread (thanks Rachel1 for the pic for the lazy!) is unbelievably beautiful.

This is my axie. He is white with spots but now i see that he has a purple colour to him. Hes about 11cm, not sure what age.
I got him as a tiny little baby with his limbs and gills chewed off and he was starving to death. He was barely 3cm.

Attachments

• purple_axie.jpg
    purple_axie.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 1,517
Now there's been talk of "silver Dalmatians" before. Would these classify as one?

P.S if you need any purple babies off your hands I'll be happy to have them if you ship :)

I think the silver Dalmatians are a variant of melanoid. Spot's may be melanoid- I can't tell from the pic. But the first one clearly has iridophores- you can see the sparkly eye ring, and specks down the side.

True, but is it still classed as a wildtype if it's silver looking iridophores instead of gold?

I'll be keeping this one but will breed him for sure. I know the parents of mine were wild type and albino.

Whatever it is Spot26, it is absolutely exquisite. I'll be keeping an eye on the Sale ads when you breed (your axie I mean - your personal reproductive efforts hold no interest for me).

Haha...oh I forgot to say where I got him from!! I got him from gumtree. A first time breeder. They had 3 left and I planed on getting 2 white speckled but 1 had died before I got there. So I took his sibling, a dark wild type.

It seems a lot of inexperienced people own very, very beautiful axolotls. It makes me so sad... I've seen plenty beautys on gumtree with lines like "they eat pebbles but it spits it out so it's okay", "eats pretty much anything you give them meat, fruits, vegetables - likes a varied diet" and "can walk in land for 20 or so minutes". Nooooo!!!

I'm glad you had the chance to buy this beauty and save it, spot.

Thanks Hayley, and you're right about inexperienced people owning the beautiful rare looking ones.
I've since contacted them to ask more questions about the parents but they don't reply. I also sent some gorgeous close up pictures of the 2 but still no reply. Oh well...their loss!!
Both axies have really small gills. I was hoping they would grow but it looks like they'll stay small.

In another post of mine Sweetie said my Melanoid looked purple :D

Toothless has been getting darker as he grows tho since I first got him at 2 1/2in a little over half a month ago

Attachments

• Axolotls.jpg
    Axolotls.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 3,820
  • Axolotl toothless baby.jpg
    Axolotl toothless baby.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,534
Thank you Rachell for posting the pic, I have the chimera from your eggs also. This is also from a Wild and a golden albino. The color is a little less in daylight color but is still purplish. We had 2 babies like this out of about 20 babies that survived from the batch. There are 3 that have asimiliar look but are GFP with a very unique green color with a bit of purplish hue underneath. We are expecting more eggs soon to see if there ends up more like these. The batch these came from was the first batch from these parents.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back