High nitrites and nitrates. Help!

Guardianangel69

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I recently had water issues leading to dead tissue on my axolotls gills and their "feathers" fell off. They have been much better, I've just been maintaining their tank. Their bloodworms were making the water dirty so I did a 75% water change. I came back a few hours later and their gill feathers are white and falling off again. I tested the water and the nitrites and nitrates instantly showed the highest rating instantly, when the teat sque the result will show after 30 seconds. What would cause this right after a water change? Could it be femo adding too little dechlorinator?

Sent from my ST26a using Tapatalk

Are you mid cycle? YOu may not have changes enough water. Just keep doing larger water changes until its been brought down. There is a myth saying that if youchange 100% of the water inyour tank it will muck up your cycle and crash it. However most of the beneficial bacteria live on the glass, ornaments filter media so it shouldn't mess it up.

Just keep on top of your water changes :)

I usually do it once a week, should I switch to every dag or every other day until the levels are down a bit?

Sent from my ST26a using Tapatalk

Yeah daily water changes. You should be doing weekly water changes once the tank is established.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back