Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Do I look like a fungus?

Flee

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 6 axies in a 4 foot tank and today I noticed little grey has two white marks on one hand and on its face but nowhere else would it be a fungus or something else? it dosent seem to be fluffly? Sorry the pic is not the best but my camera is really old and takes crappy pics of them. :D

Water temp is 16.5 20% water change yesterday but I was in a hurry so Didn’t spend my normal time with them so it may have already been there

Water test today : ph 6.8, amm 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate 40 yesterday ph was low at 6.6 and nitrate was high at 80 but the other two were great at 0

I feed them earth worms from my worm farm they are now 8 months old and owned them from about 6 weeks old from 2 different breeders. I think thats everything you need to know.:happy:

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 361

sophieall

Reaction score
hmm, interesting. Is there any way you could get better pictures? I know how you feel, i just have my phone and it takes bad photos the majority of the time. I'm not sure which or your nitrates were high, was it NO2 or NO3? I would wait a couple days and watch him closely to make sure it isn't getting worse or if he starts to act different (loss of appetite, lethargic, aggressiveness) or anything that seems out of the norm. There are also many remedies that aren't guaranteed to work, but may help if you can't diagnose what he may have.

Salt bath:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

I can't find a link to a tea bath, but you can also use indian almond leaves if you have any. I use them in all of my tanks and with my larvae. They have anti fungal and anti bacterial properties and even detoxify harmful metals.

hope i helped, good luck!

Flee

Reaction score
How do I use the indian Almond leaves what type of shop sells them? They may be they first thing to try?

sophieall

Reaction score
Most local pet stores in the united states don't have them, but i don't know about australia. All that you need to do is put the leaf in the water. the water and current breaks down the leaf and depending on the amount put in or the volume of the water, your aquarium will get a light tea color from the tannin in the leaf. i leave mine in a few days and then i squeeze the heck out of them which just releases the properties faster. Most people just leave the leaf in the tank, untouched, until it dissipates completely. I have heard oak leaves work in a similar way, but i prefer the almond leaves if i don't need them in a hurry. i order them on Ebay, out of Thailand. There are hundreds of listings from all over, maybe you can find some local ones.

Flee

Reaction score
thank you very much for your help :happy:. I have been looking on ebay.

Sweetie

Reaction score
If you are having trouble finding Indian almond leaves, you could try a tea bath, which has much the same mildly antibacterial and antifungal properties (tannin content of the tea). Use ordinary black (fermented) unflavoured tea. Make a cup of tea (use one tea bag per 10 litres of tankwater). Let it cool right down. Then just add it to the tank. You can add more when the colour dilutes with the water changes.

Flee

Reaction score
I did find some on ebay in melbourne. Seller was great hopefully should arrive 2morrow? fingers crossed :happy:

you can hardly see the white anymore you really have to look to find it so maybe its really nothing but I will put the leaves in anyway.

Again thanks you for your help.:happy: it would be so much easier if they could speak :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!