Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Skin flaking, brown scabby lesions, pale gills, poor motor skills, happened within a day help!

RayGun

Reaction score
Hi! This is my first time owning axolotls, and they've been fine the last three months. I feed them worms and pellets, they have an exto terra repticlear fx 2000 filter, and they've showed no sign of illness before. But then my two leucistic males suddenly had brown spots on them and their skin is flaking, and one little guy (Charlie) was floating at the top of the tank not responding to me touching him at all. Normally if I touch him he'll swim off. I thought he was dead, and I took him out of the tank. It wasn't until he gasped for air while I was taking photos to post here that I realized he's still alive, albeit barely. I've got Charlie fridging right now, Lawrence (the other little guy) is still in his tank since he's much more active. The strangest thing is that my wild type girl is completely fine; not flaking, no scabs, active and happy. What do I do? What's making them sick and what can I do for them?
(note that the photo is taken with him out of the water because he looked dead, this guy is currently in a container in the fridge.)

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,705

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
The speckling of red dots and small blisters makes me suspect septicemia. This requires a visit to the vet ..the sooner the better.
Check your water parameters for Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite and also water temperature. If you are unable to test the water take a sample to your local aquatics centre. I personally would do a 50% water change with dechlorinated water just in case.

vlcuXX

Reaction score
The speckling of red dots and small blisters makes me suspect septicemia. This requires a visit to the vet ..the sooner the better.
Check your water parameters for Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite and also water temperature. If you are unable to test the water take a sample to your local aquatics centre. I personally would do a 50% water change with dechlorinated water just in case.

I second this advice.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

RayGun

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately I woke up to find both boys had passed away in the night. I've thoroughly cleaned the tank, so hopefully my female will be fine. My poor little guys. I can't believe how quickly it happened.

Sweetie

Reaction score
So very sorry for your loss. Antibiotics are the only possible help, but septicaemia seems to strike very quickly indeed. Anyone able to explain what occurs? I know it's a systemic infection, but how does it start?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1