Tank & cycling?

MissT

Reaction score
Country
United States
Where I live, axolotls rarely pop up in pet stores. I visited a few stores today and saw that they had them in stock, but I don't have a tank set up yet. Would I be able to put the axie in a plastic tub and do daily water changes until the tank cycles?

Also, what's the quickest way to cycle a tank, besides using a filter from an established tank? If I took some gravel, how long would it take?

Thanks!!

Yes, you can keep an axie temporarily in a tub with daily water changes until you get a tank cycled.

If you can't get filter medium from an established tank you could use gravel as long as you remove it before you move your axie in. If you can get the gravel in the filter even better, as this would directly seed the new filter medium.

Incidentally, axies are almost always available on this forum, so you don't need to wait for your LFS to get some in.

You can keep the axolotl in a plastic tub but you would need to do daily 100% water changes. Ideally it is best to wait until you have the tank all set up and properly cycled as it is a long slow process. But if you really want to get them now you can do that.

Seeded material from an already established tank will speed things along but there is no instant cycling method and it will take weeks, possibly even over a month to cycle a tank. Here is a link on the fishless cycling method I used
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

And here is another article on cycling

Scales Tails Wings and Things, What is Aquarium Cycling? How to Cycle your Tank

I hope this helps. I should add too that if you do use gravel, be sure to remove it as gravel poses a dangerous risk to axolotls of impaction. Fine silica based sand or bare bottom are good alternatives

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back