Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: New to Axies and have multiple questions

Kyle G

Reaction score
"I have a 50 gallon aquarium with dimension 48"x13"x12" how many axies should i keep in there? What kind of filter should I get? What are some good cheap ways to keep the aquarium below 70 degrees? What should i feed my axies when i get them if they are 3"+ and how often? at what size should i change the diet and should i change the time period of feedings? Is play sand the best sand for a substrate or should i go with something different? Thanks in advance for all the advice, i am super excited to get my axolotls :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
I have a 50 gallon aquarium with dimension 48"x13"x12" how many axies should i keep in there? 3 would be great, 4 at a push
What kind of filter should I get? One rated at 200gal/hour - type is up to you and your budget, but I prefer cannisters
What are some good cheap ways to keep the aquarium below 70 degrees? A fan blowing across the surface or ice bottles are cheap, a chiller is more reliable but expensive.
What should i feed my axies when i get them if they are 3"+ and how often? Earthworms, bloodworms, blackworms, pellets, small live shrimp. At 3" they will take almost anything they can get in their mouth. Feed them daily, whatever they will eat in about 10-15 mins.
at what size should i change the diet and should i change the time period of feedings? Wean them off the smaller worms onto earthworms as they grow. By the time they are fully grown at about a year old they will only need feeding once every other day or less often. Try and keep their belly as wide as their head.
Is play sand the best sand for a substrate or should i go with something different? Stick with bare bottom until axies are 5-6", sand can cause impaction in smaller axies. Sand is good, bare bottom also good, large slates, silicone with sand embedded
Thanks in advance for all the advice, i am super excited to get my axolotls :)
Don't forget to cycle your tank before you get your axies - and good luck!

Kyle G

Reaction score
Can i feed them by hand or should i just drop the food in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle G

Reaction score
And do you recommend keeping them seperated until they are about 6" long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlowingFauxPas

Reaction score
You can feed them either way. Sometimes my axolotls won't eat pebbles unless I move them around. I've read stories that axolotls get lazy if you make it too "easy" for them to eat but I've never noticed that.

Make sure that nothing is on your hand that can mess with the tank, such as hand soap or other cleaning chemicals.

If they have plenty of room to move around and they're all roughly the same size you don't need to keep them separate.

Bette

Reaction score
[GlowingFauxPas, quote: " Sometimes my axolotls won't eat pebbles unless I move them around. I've read stories that axolotls get lazy if you make it too "easy" for them to eat but I've never noticed that."]

pebbles, huh? :lol:

GlowingFauxPas

Reaction score
-_- I meant pellets. Though with their appetite I'm sure they'd eat pebbles too.

Sweetie

Reaction score
"I have a 50 gallon aquarium with dimension 48"x13"x12"
As I understand calculating the volume of a tank, one with those dimensions is certainly not a 50 gallon aquarium. Rather, it is about 27 UK gallons (or 32.4 US gallons).
The general rule for axies is 10 gallons per axie. So according to this, your tank could house two (perhaps three) adult axies.
But the tank dimensions are also important - area (size of the tank bottom) is more important than depth (which need only be equivalent to the axie's length). On this measurement, an adult axie needs a tank at least two feet long by one foot wide (four feet long for two axies). So your tank could house no more than two adult axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1