Hardy Plants for Axolotl Tanks

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have any advice on plants that grow well in axolotl tanks since they are cold and no lights? Does anyone have any plants that they have had for awhile that recommend? I recently won an auction from an aquarium plant store for 25 plants and am trying to figure out what I want and would like a nice variety of plants for them to hide in since I love the look of a well planted tank.

I already know about this list which seems to be the standard so I am planning on getting some of these:

Anubias Nana - great plant, virtually indestructible, hardy and low maintenance.
Anubias Isabelle - very tough, taller than the Nana.
Anubias Barteri - just like the Nana, but a bit bigger and with rounder leaves.
Java Fern - one of the toughest aquatic plants you can get - grows anywhere!
Java Moss - grows anywhere as well, can be made into a sort-of "carpet"
Lilaeopsis - this is like grass, you can make a beautiful lawn in your tank with it.
Eleocharis (Hairgrass) - same as with Lilaeopsis tends to be a bit taller though.
Pongol - this is actually Mondo Grass, so it's not a true aquatic but survives (doesn't grow, just survives) for ages submerged, not really recommended.
Congensis - quite striking for a centrepiece plant.
Riccia - Riccia generally needs a lot of light to grow properly, thus only suitable for brighter tanks.
Narrow Chain Sword - another grassy-type thing. Looks pretty, grows happily.

I also know frogbit, duckweed (I heard horror stories of this with filters though), and moss balls.

The anubias, riccia, java fern, and java moss would probably do fine with just indirect sunlight, but their growth and overall healthiness would be variable depending on how much room light your tank receives.

The rest of the plants are also very well suited to a low light planted tank (including low temperatures), but would probably require some additional tank lighting. If you want a good looking planted aquarium, it would be good to add some lighting to have healthy plant growth. I would recommend using some LEDs designed for planted aquariums, as they wouldn't add very much heat to the tank. I've been using some Finnex Fugeray fixtures, and they
ve been working very well for me. .

I'll admit duckweed can become a pain but frogbit should be large enough to not clog up the filter. I love the look of floating plants with their roots hanging down so things like water lettuce would look cool. You can have bright lights as long as the axolotls have cover. Bright light will get those floating plants growing fast (helping the water quality) and the axolotls will appreciate the overhead cover. I found some water hyacinth and have it multiplying in a separate tank until I have enough to set it up in my axolotl tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought I would put this is here.

Can anyone recommend a plant for the back of my tank, I want to hide the filter tubes running down the back. I was hoping for a plant to drape down the back wall.

EDIT: it doesn't need to completely cover that back just cover it up a bit

Thought I would put this is here.

Can anyone recommend a plant for the back of my tank, I want to hide the filter tubes running down the back. I was hoping for a plant to drape down the back wall.

EDIT: it doesn't need to completely cover that back just cover it up a bit

If you get like an egg crate and cut out a sheet you can tie a sheet of Java moss onto it using fishing line. Eventually it will grow into a nice looking wall. Also gives you the possibility of tying other plants to it.

If you get like an egg crate and cut out a sheet you can tie a sheet of Java moss onto it using fishing line. Eventually it will grow into a nice looking wall. Also gives you the possibility of tying other plants to it.

Thank you, il get experimenting!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back