Question: Water test kit

charleybambino

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend an accurate water test kit in uk. Have been using strips which show healthy perameters, but my leucistic axi has almost sun burnt looking skin, blotchy but no spots which I read is a sign of too high nitrates.
Would like to be more accurate
Thanks

Any liquid test kit should be fine - API or Tetra are the big brands.
Have you checked temperature? And are you changing water regularly? Is your tank fully cycled?
A photo of your axie may help as well.

Was cycled until needed to remove about half the water to move the tank to allow kitchen refit. Don't usually take out so much, so guess I,ve upset the balance, Temp is staying 20-22.I don't know how to post a picture of her :-( Have added some plants and doing small water changes.
Tank mate seems to be spitting out food after initially snapping it......read this could be poor water too.....just hope soon back on track.
Nitrate 25 -50
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

Last edited:
High temp is probably the main cause of food issues, if you can get a fan blowing over the top of the tank it should cool the tank down about 3-4 degrees. Ice bottles will work too.

Changing water shouldn't affect your cycle too much.

To upload photos you just use the 'manage attachments' box under the text reply box.

Can anyone recommend an accurate water test kit in uk. Have been using strips which show healthy perameters, but my leucistic axi has almost sun burnt looking skin, blotchy but no spots which I read is a sign of too high nitrates.
Would like to be more accurate
Thanks

Im in the UK. I dont know if you have an Amazon account? I buy the API freshwater master kit. Its around £20 but definately worth it. Can test for amonnia, nitrite, nitrate and PH levels. Really helpful and last quite a while.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back