Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Multilevel ideas

Liz Roome

Reaction score
I am thinking if change my tank around a bit, I have a skull with but tables which my axies adore, but they can't really get inside it anymore, I also have a half moulded log and a tree root ornament, they love to climb under the roots and around the top.

I want to have something that gives more of a 2 level effect in part of the tank, but I am not sure what I need to do this, or if there are things I can buy that give me better levels or hides.

I don't really like the log if I'm honest, my axies used to love it but not so much mow.
Do your axies have favourite places to investigate, should I invest I plants as well?

Ideas welcome. Tank is 125 litre. Thanks

Kaini

Reaction score
I bought some slate tiles and made a little 'shelf' for my axie to sit on. I 'glued' them together with aquarium sealant.

Attachments

• IMG_3545.jpg
    IMG_3545.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_4097.jpg
    IMG_4097.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_3492.jpg
    IMG_3492.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 243

AnnaBingham

Reaction score
I bought a plastic corner shower caddy off Amazon. Was pretty cheap, it has suckers round the edges so you dont have glue anything in. It works really well, is a nice large size that fits perfectly in my 180l tank and you can put things on it. I just put sand on mine to blend in with the rest of the tank and my axie loves it :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 320

Liz Roome

Reaction score
I love slate, but it's quite expensive.

Anna, that is such an innovative idea! I love it. I can't reach the bottom of my tanks easily, I think I could use a shelf like this for a feeding shelf, would be less messy.

All great ideas, and I have ordered some moss which is attached to some kind of plastic which can be wrapped around things, not totally sure what I will use the moss for yet, but I am seeing possibilities with levelling.

Connor

Reaction score
I am setting up a new tank at the moment and I am also trying to make some different levels, I cut slate into shape (and smoothed the sharp edges). I put this together quickly and I plan on making this taller so it can be used as a hide to. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2079.jpg
    IMG_2079.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_2080.jpg
    IMG_2080.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 236

Connor

Reaction score
balanced just now but the tank is empty, plan on using silicone when I know i am happy with it.

itsaVthing

Reaction score
Home Depot has slate tiles in various sizes. I bought some 12x12, package of 5 was around $8. Then a package of small rectangles, squares and I think 6x6 squares. Total cost was probably $30. Will try to post a picture if I can. I have made 2 hides so far with a lot of tile left.

itsaVthing

Reaction score
20140623_104204_zpsd35d5063.jpg

These were around $5 each.

Home Depot has slate tiles in various sizes. I bought some 12x12, package of 5 was around $8. Then a package of small rectangles, squares and I think 6x6 squares. Total cost was probably $30. Will try to post a picture if I can. I have made 2 hides so far with a lot of tile left.

kjnorman

Reaction score
I would definitely go for plants as well - my axies love to get 'tangled' up in the plants and sort of float in the middle, or swim up and sink down on top of the plants. I have a mix of live and realistic looking artificial plants that seems to please them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1