Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello!!

FissionFusion

Reaction score
I don't have any amphibians yet, but hopefully I will be the proud owner of an Axolotl before the end of the summer :happy: I work at a science supply company, where a variety of amphibians, tanks and other supplies are readily available. Which is why I started thinking about finally getting a lovely little walking fish. I just need to know what is best for any prospective pet, and how I can provide the best space for them :) thank you!

sde

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :happy:

Most people keep axolotls in a 40 gallon tank, and with a size like that you can have three. Good luck! -Seth

FissionFusion

Reaction score
oh, thank you so much! would it be better to have two or three axolotls rather than one? sorry, this probably isn't the best place to have this conversation o.o are there any good beginner threads?

sde

Reaction score
would it be better to have two or three axolotls rather than one?

No, it wouldn't. It would be best to start with one to get comfortable with axolotls before you get more than one. A 20 gallon tank is a good size for one axolotl.
Sorry I didn't mean to confuse you, i was just saying that most people prefer a 40 gallon tank.

The "Newt and Salamander help" section of the forum is the best place to post beginner questions. -Seth

Kylehubble

Reaction score
You also want to pick a sand type substrate, no gravel. Make sure you cycle the tank for a couple weeks before you place any salamanders in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shivermetim

Reaction score
Hello fissionfusion welcome as I am also new here I will extend my welcome and hello to everyone out there I proudly share my room with 2 wild coloration axolotls pinky and the brain they are in a 30gal tank and are somewhere around the 5-6 inch mark sand substrate water fall filter with decorations breaking up the flow temp 69-70degrees and working on getting it lower

fissionfusion are u getting a axolotl or still trying to decide exactly what you're looking for?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1