Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl floating sideways

Sharpie

Reaction score
I had these two axolotl for around a month now. They got stuck in a hollowed out log I had in there. Took me a few to get them out. But now ones floating alot on its side and the other one does it here and there. Is it just because they got stressed out? Or are they sick? What can I do?

Sweetie

Reaction score
How old are they? What do you feed them, how do you feed them and how often? If they are juveniles, they may just have an air bubble, which should pass in a day or two. And the usual question: what are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temperature)? Oh, and is there gravel or sand in their tank? The more info you can give, the easier it will be for people to give you useful advice.

Sharpie

Reaction score
They are still young. Don't remember how old. One is 6 inches other is almost 5 inches. I feed them worms twice a day. Tank is a 55 gal with 5 in it. Others are doin great. Water temp is 22°c. There is no gravel in tank. Bare bottom with plenty of hides.

auntiejude

Reaction score
If you can get the temp down it would be useful. I would also say 5 juvies in a 55gal was overcrowded - fair enough if you're planning to move them on shortly, but the really need 10gals each.

Some juvies are prone to air bubbles, and they grow out of it. Some don't grow out of it though, but learn to cope. They probably hid in the log as a way to stay down. Try floating a cork mat or plastic container lid for them to hide under. The gas usually passes on it's own.

If they are still floating in a few days you may need to isolate them if they are distressed. My floater likes pondweed to hide under, and a tunnel he can wedge himself under too.

Ripley

Reaction score
I'm a little confused, OP says its a 55 gal tank with 5 in it. But AJ says its overcrowded and they need 10 gals each. But isn't that what their getting in a 55 gallon tank? Just asking because its been a really long and trying day at work so my brain may not be working right atm.

Sharpie

Reaction score
Yes 55 gal is enough room. Made sure before I got them. The others are fine. Even the other one that was floating is ok now. It's just that one now. But he's not floating sideways anymore.

mewsie

Reaction score
10 gallons is usually taken as the minimum for one axolotl - 55 should be fine for juvies and probably ok for adults, but always better to have more room than too little. For one, it makes keeping temperature and conditions good much much easier!

However - It's also about footprint. Axolotls might mooch about the tank a lot when they're little, but as adults they are more prone to staying on the floor. Your tank might be fine volume-wise, (which would keep the conditions fairly well) but if they are constantly on top of one another you're more likely to notice nipping.

As far as floating goes, axolotls (especially little ones) have a tendency to put themselves in ridiculous places and shapes and directions. If there are no other signs of distress (are they trying to get to the bottom but can't?), they are eating, pooping, and visually look ok, its most likely just them having a nice float.

22c is a little high. Water holds more oxygen when it is cold, so your axolotls might be floating near the top to be closer to the surface? Mine often do in summer.

Sharpie

Reaction score
It's ok :). I think he's ok, I think he just likes to float. He's eating fine and will go back down to the bottom now. Idk..lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1