Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Female behaviour?

spud62

Reaction score
My Female is acting strange , Shes twisting her head back and forth, not all the time but now and again, is She getting ready to lay eggs do you think ?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Sounds more like her gills are irritated - have you checked your water parameters and checked her for fungus?

Head shaking isn't an egg-laying behaviour.

spud62

Reaction score
Sounds more like her gills are irritated - have you checked your water parameters and checked her for fungus?

Head shaking isn't an egg-laying behaviour.

Thank you for replying, Her gills are fine but the water did need treated slightly, we have a mini heatwave " well for the North East it is ! " :lol: so I have been battling to keep a stable temp, its never gone above 20c which is what it is first thing in the morning, I have been putting frozen bottles in and a large fan that just ripples the water very slightly and the temp during the day is between 16 and 18 maybe the fluctuation is getting to her ? but my male is unfazed by it all, will keep a good eye on her and get back to you, thank you again its great to get good advice from people who know:happy:

Sweetie

Reaction score
Good to hear, Spud. :D There are some people, of course, who would argue that females of any species behave strangely. (I'm female - I'm allowed to say it.)
When it comes to our pets, I think It's always better to worry sooner than later. And this site is probably the best source of info available to us, given most vets know next to nothing about axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1