Am I getting wrong readings on my nitrites?

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been fighting my cycle on my tank to keep things safe for my axlolts and I dont understand how fast my nitrites rise. Last night I had to move my 40 gallon tank so I did around a 95% water change and my nitrites were between .5-1 ppm because I had to wait to pull the water out for someone to help me move it (I didnt get to change it twice that day). I tested the water 10 hours later and they were back at .25 so I changed out 30% of the water and 3 hours later they are back up to .25%. I have had to my water changes from 35-40% once a day to two 25% changes a day. My ammonia levels seem to be staying even with the nitrite but I have no signs of nitrates.

I just dont know if nitrite raises this fast or if maybe my dechlorinator is throwing the readings. I am now using API stress coat + as my dechlorinator because I saw it recomended by various people for axolotls. Does anyone have problems with this brand throwing their readings?

I have 6 live plants in my tank and two large pieces of drift wood for the beneficial bacteria to grow on. I dont leave any food and make sure each lotl eats every bite before I add more food and I clean up every bit off poop I see. I even work to syphon up and spot clean every bit of poo dust I can at least twice a day (Usually I am cleaning out poop 4 times a day).

I am so frustrated I went ahead and ordered 30 more live plants which should arrive thursday but even then I have to clean and quarantine them before I feel safe to plant them in the tank.

Is this just a normal part of cycling? I have been at this for over a month now. They raise fast it just doesnt feel right with how clean I keep everything.

Hello I posted on your other thread but just saw this one I think you might be changing water to often fot the bio cycle to fully establish itself I use 2 25gal tubs filled with 20gal treat and let sit for preferably 3 day's before using to do a water change and don't change water more than 50% in a weeks time I had a very similar situation when I started my first big tank and it was a faulty test kit and me freaking out and doing massive water changes just personal experience might not be the same situation but figured it can't hurt to put it out there I hope things work out for u sooner than later

Hello I posted on your other thread but just saw this one I think you might be changing water to often fot the bio cycle to fully establish itself I use 2 25gal tubs filled with 20gal treat and let sit for preferably 3 day's before using to do a water change and don't change water more than 50% in a weeks time I had a very similar situation when I started my first big tank and it was a faulty test kit and me freaking out and doing massive water changes just personal experience might not be the same situation but figured it can't hurt to put it out there I hope things work out for u sooner than later

I just have my little 5 gallon bucket for watch changes and I dont have space for any tubs since my room is all desks (I work from here).

I am still fighting to keep the nitrites at a safe level ... its making me want to tear my hair out -_-.

If I slack off at all by changing a little less water or once a day instead of every 12 hours it shoots up.

Are you trying to set up a filterless tank?

Fish-in cycling takes a lot longer than fishless, especially if you don't have a filter, since you're rying to balance the water quality for the axies as well as allowing the good bacteria to grow.

Plants won't really help though, they absorb nitrates rather than nitrites.

I personally favour plain sodium thiosulfate over any of the expensive brands with added 'stuff', and there has been some debate over the aloe in various water conditioners.

Are you trying to set up a filterless tank?

Fish-in cycling takes a lot longer than fishless, especially if you don't have a filter, since you're rying to balance the water quality for the axies as well as allowing the good bacteria to grow.

Plants won't really help though, they absorb nitrates rather than nitrites.

I personally favour plain sodium thiosulfate over any of the expensive brands with added 'stuff', and there has been some debate over the aloe in various water conditioners.

I have a canister filter and picked up some frogbit with my plants since I read that floating plants tend to help with nitrite because of their stalk system.
Im just so taken aback by how fast the nitrites go back up with as clean as I keep everything and the rate in which I dilute them through water changes. I spend well over an hour every day between searching for all poops, pruning the plants to make sure no leaves rot and change the water.

My axolotls have never shown any signs of distress but it worries me so much. Which is why I decided to take on two changes a day. This way the temperature never leaves their comfort zone and it helps me make sure the nitrites never get too high. .
Its been like this for weeks so it would have to almost be cycled right?

It took me about 10 or 11 weeks to get a properly cycled tank. Mind you, I did it with an axie in the tank and without a filter. And it's a relatively small tank - 40 litres (two feet long, one foot deep). So I suppose I've gone the difficult route. But it's all worth it at this stage. Finally, I've been able to stop the daily water changes. Now, I just poop-scoop diligently and do a 25% change about once a week.

It took me about 10 or 11 weeks to get a properly cycled tank. Mind you, I did it with an axie in the tank and without a filter. And it's a relatively small tank - 40 litres (two feet long, one foot deep). So I suppose I've gone the difficult route. But it's all worth it at this stage. Finally, I've been able to stop the daily water changes. Now, I just poop-scoop diligently and do a 25% change about once a week.

Oh my that is such a long time D:

I have a filter and am doing an axi in cycle because I have no other way to do it and I am at a little past week 5 I believe. I think the nitrites are starting to slow, the past two days it doesnt seem to be rising as quickly so I am praying that its finally near the end and I can breath again.

Hey auntiejude have you ever heard of the filter for nitrates I had some luck with a diy it took awhile to take effect I remember I gave up on it but it was causing no harm (and being lazy) i left it hooked up and it started up eventually it ran for almost two years and finally blocked up I'm working on a version 2 now

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back