Question: water bottles

kcoscia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Katie
Is the stuff that holds labels to water bottles safe in the aquarium? I may or may not need to help my fan decrease the temp with frozen bottles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've never heard anyone say it isn't, but if you're paranoid you can get most of it off with hot water and steel wool.
Any chemicals you use to take it off (goo gone, etc) will probably be more harmful than the stuff itself so steer clear of that stuff.

I used a razor and scratched what I could off. Place a hot cloth over the label/stick/glue to help get it off.

So long as you get most of it off, and it's not likely to fall into the tank where it could be accidentally consumed, should be ok. Most axies probably won't go near the bottle in the water in any case.

It's a good question. You could avoid labels altogether by using only bottles that have the lettering printed directly onto the plastic. Although then, there's the worry about whatever chemical is used for the printing.... Maybe the best answer is to find bottles with those labels that peel off as soon as you put a little water under one corner (the label is a plastic-type substance and comes off easily in one piece), as they have virtually no glue under the label and what there is comes off easily with hot water.

I avoid the labels entirely by using tupperware containers rather than bottles. I fill those with water and freeze them (dechlorinated water of course!) and snap the lid on and let that float in the tank. Just make sure the plastic doesn't have any anti-mold additives or what have you.

Ooooo that's a good idea thanks kai! Right now my new fan is actually doing a good job - so relieved

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back