Jar feeding

Liz Roome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wanted to ask about feeding your axolotl from a jar. My 2 axies in my main tank have started to go a bit crazy as I have breeding nets round the top holding their offspring, which are waiting to be sold. The problem is every time I feed the babies, the adults go mad at the smell of the food. I have been giving them pellets usually every few days which they we're fine with.
Literally just now my male was trying to jump out the tank, he was swimming rally furiously into the bottom of the baby nets, he scared all of them and upset my female too with his trashing about. He has settled now, but it really scared me.
I do feed the adults worms and frozen food too, but it's messy. I saw some people talking about feeding jars, I was wondering how you use these? Do you put the food in first, like the frozen block then submerge the jar? I have a jar ready, I'm just not sure how to use it effectively. Any help appreciated.

Why do you have the babies in a net? Most people set them up in tubs or tanks of their own because of the issues you're describing. The male sees the babies as potential food - hence the behaviour you're seeing.

Jar feeding shouldn't be necessary for adults if they are on worms - hand feeding is clean and easy, and you can ensure each axie gets their alloted amount.

Jars are usually used for things like bloodworms on a sand substrate, to prevent the axies ingesting sand. The easiest way to get a jar filled is to find a really big jar (large mayo or honey jars are good - cleqaned thoroughly) and lay it on its side in the tank, then use a turkey baster to put the bloodworms in the jar. You shouldn't put frozen food in the tank. With pellets you would put the pellets in the jar, fill the jar with tank water, and use your hand to prevent pellets escaping while you submerge the jar.

Thanks, they have been fine the whole time that the babies have been there, some 3 months, he literally only went really crazy today. Usually they swim up to the top asking for food, Alice prefers to be hand fed but will eat off the bottom, Also I ran out of tank space, thinking I would have sold more by now, hence the nets.

I have sand substrate, and sinking pellets, so I would like to keep the tank bottom cleaner ideally if I can keep the pellets in one place which is better, or put blood worms n stuff tin he jar for them.

Ah yeah I didn't mean I put frozen food into the tank, I meant that it isn't live wriggling, as in a cube of blood worms defrosted which end up all over the tank, no Mayer how I put it in, Drako ends up sitting in it, so thought the jar would be cleaner and they would get more in one go.

Apologies, I don't think I explained myself very well, thank you for your helpful response.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back