Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Why does my axo stand on his head?

mbeck123

Reaction score
My son has gone to sea and I am now the happy guardian of his albino-ish axolotl. He set up a 30 gallon tank (including a chiller to keep the water temperature around 65) with pool filter sand, purified driftwood and plants. I hand feed him earthworms, I established a separate tank for feeder goldfish, and I love watching his antics. I see from other posts that they like to hang on things (which mine does to the driftwood) but I am wondering about why he goes into the corner and stays there essentially on his head. Is this normal? Sometimes he goes to the surface, gulps air (my tank has a good filter and oxygen supply) and then floats. Is this normal?

Thanks from a new member!

HayleyK

Reaction score
Axolotls are pretty strange, and will do strange things. If it can get to the bottom and stay at the bottom horizontally, then all is normal. If his tail or rear end floats sounds like he's a bit constipated or gassy and should pass in the next few days.

Gail24

Reaction score
my Albino Sally does that all the time ,they are strange little creatures nothing to worry about :eek: she loves to stand on her back legs lol

Attachments

• 10423616_700867036645765_346839143_n.jpg
    10423616_700867036645765_346839143_n.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,034

Sweetie

Reaction score
Absolutely adore Sally's little black finger and toe tips, Gail. Can someone tell me whether all albinos develop the dark tips? And if so, what is the oldest this will happen? Boris is sexually mature in appearance (he has very noticeable testicles) but his finger and toe tips are still pale. He is about nine months old and eight inches (20 cm) long.
To the OP: Yes, all the behaviour you describe is 'normal'. Lotls are very strange little people indeed and they like to do very strange things. They have individual personalities (ok, temperaments then), and different lotls do different things.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Can someone tell me whether all albinos develop the dark tips? And if so, what is the oldest this will happen? .
Most do, I believe some white albinos don't. The earliest I have seen it in albinos is 3 months, but it can be any time really. Contrary to popular belief it is not a sign of sexual maturity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!