Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Power outage, cycling tank??!

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
So apparently the power went out while I was at work today, I dont know exactly when but i know at least 2hours before I even got home.

I have a cycled 10gallon with two small juveniles and a 125gallon that is 2weeks into its cycle(though I had seed material and i already had a nitrate reading of 20)

Will I need to restart the cycle?? :( when I got home all my filter media was dry, i did put it in tank water though just in case. Stupid power still isnt on!

GlowingFauxPas

Reaction score
If there are other media for the bacteria - e.g. sand, fake plants, fixtures - you should be fine.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I have sand, many hides and a lot of real plants(no fake) and some big rocks i also have two lufas that break the water flow and were still wet(i assume since water is constantly going through them that they colonize a lot of bacteria as well. Hopefully thats enough! The 10gallon is pretty well bare except a couple decorations and a tank divider..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!