What is the best, least messy & easiest to breed live food?

Nyx

Reaction score
Country
United States
I plan on adopting some axies soon & I am trying to decide on what to feed them. I think it would probably be the most inexpensive to culture/breed their food source myself so I have a constant supply. What do you think? I'm also taking messiness & difficulty into account. I know some foods can get the tank very messy very quickly & I want it to be able to be maintained pretty easily too. I'm asking for experiences/opinions on what YOU think is the best.

Earthworms are the best staple and nutritionally balanced. Once you set up a worm farm it'll cost you no more money in the future (unless the farm dies...) and they're super easy to feed.

WORMS! Best nutritionally, easy to keep, breed and feed.

definitely Earthworms they make the least mess and are nutritionally very good for them :eek:

Like everyone else has said, earthworms are the best bet. 1000 worms can live in one square foot of space. I recommend ordering a pound or two online because if you may run out of worms I you start off too small. I take all types of vegetable/fruit scraps (except citrus and pineapple! Deadly to earthworms!) I'll blend in some cornstarch or old oatmeal and every so often a whole egg with shell. You can use used coffee grounds too. It's so easy I couldn't imagine going back to anything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back