Which worm?

Cacique

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I was thinking of a small worm farm, but my axolotl flat out refuses reg wrigglers. What kind of worm would you recommend that doesn't have any kind of foul taste and is easy to breed in a warm place like Florida?

When you offer red wiggles do you end up feeding it other food when it refuses? An axolotl will eventually eat them as long as it has no other option. Try leaving a live worm in overnight and see if it will eat it. It could take a few days of no eating but it won't starve itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a farm of European Nightcrawlers- Esenia hortensi (sometimes called super reds or Belgium worms). They do great in my compost bin started with peat moss. They are larger than the red wigglers and very easy to take care of.
The only problem is that they are related to red wrigglers and still can have a foul tasting defense mechanism. It is said to be less than their relatives, but sometimes my axies still spit them out.

E fetida (red wrigglers) are by far the easiest to keep and breed, even in Florida as long as you keep them damp and shaded.

E hortensis (european nightcrawler) breed at a much slower rate and generally don't like heat - they may not like the summers in Florida

E fetida breed at something like 4 times the rate of E hortensis.

So if you plan on setting up a worm farm you're much better off persevering with red wrigglers.

If you're buying in regularly you can get canadian nightcrawlers (Lumbricus terrestris) and keep them in the fridge. They are huge and you'll be able to feed 2 small axies with 1 worm. But they won't breed in captivity as they like deep cold soil.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back