Bumps on a juvenile

k9srgr8

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 3 juvs purchased in march.... All have been thriving. Came home tonight to find 1 with bumps all over his body. These surfaced in less than 24 hrs as I photographed them last night and they all looked fine. currently all 3 are in a 10 gallon tank with 1 gallon of water with 1 cc stress coat changed daily until my 30 gallon tank cycles. I usually feed them black worms twice a day but ran out...thus the frozen bloodworms in the pic. I am planning on quarantining this guy with spring water and melafix but wanted to check with the experts first. Any advice?

Attachments

• 20140620_230350.jpg
    20140620_230350.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 248
It looks like his slime coat may be shedding? What are the parameters of the tank?

Spring water from my understanding is likely to be deficient in minerals needed for axolotls. Dechlorinated tap water would be fine. You could try some indian almond leaves or a black tea bath to help soothe his skin

My two juveniles had a similar thing (though not as bad) which coincided with a large spike in nitrite levels in their water. That might be the root cause. And you did defrost the bloodworms before putting them in the tank, right? It's not good if an axie eats a piece of ice.

Hey folks, thanks for the replies. Yes I thawed the bloodworms. The next morning I woke up to a flooded kitchen due to a broken pipe and 2 more sick axies. I have a feeling this caused the problem. Unfortunately I lost one of them, but the other 2 are back to normal.

So very sorry to hear of your loss. :( Glad to hear, though, that the others are okay. At least there is some good news.

I'd plop them right in the 30 gallon tank and cycle it with them in. I wouldn't use stress coat or melafix with axolotls. I'd use something that neutralizes the chlorine and chloramine with the least amount of additives possible.

I'd plop them right in the 30 gallon tank and cycle it with them in. I wouldn't use stress coat or melafix with axolotls. I'd use something that neutralizes the chlorine and chloramine with the least amount of additives possible.

Is there a dechlorinator you recommend? I have always used stress coat. I only did the melafix for 12 hrs. I know in fish land it seems to be a cure all and I read it was safe for axies. Cycling the tank with them in it makes me nervous.... I feel I'm too inexperienced.

I use plain sodium thiosulfate (in crystal form from photography suppliers) and make up my own dechlor solution. I make up 40g crystals to 1 litre of water, then 5ml of that solution per 10L water. I know not everyone is comfortable with doing this, but it works for me.

On another note melafix is supposed to be axie safe, but I don't think it was indicated in this case. You need to use it at half strength for axies.

But generally speaking axies don't respond well to chemicals of any type - even 'natural' additives - so they are best avoided.

Fish-in cycling is not hard, it's just hard work! Test your water daily, change some water out if ammonia or nitrites are too high.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back