Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie from Nevada

AmandaW

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm very happy I found this site & want to thank everyone for sharing so many helpful tips & so much informative information. I recently became interested in Axolotls because my son has them @ his school. A few weeks ago when I went to pick him up his teacher told me that the pair they had layed eggs over the weekend. She was asking parents to take some home! She talked me into taking about 40 eggs home to see what I could do with them. I've been researching a lot because I really didn't know much about them. Unfortunately the week after I got them my A/C downstairs in my house went out while I was @ work & it got really hot in my house. I think this was the cause of almost all of the eggs to be lost : ( & the remaining few were trying to hatch much to quickly as I hadn't acquired any food for them yet. I ordered brine shrimp eggs but they were going to take a few days to arrive. I called all of the pet stores desperately trying to find something to feed them & found a store that sold brine shrimp eggs. So I rushed to buy some & watched videos online on how to hatch them. 4 of my babies had hatched by this time & I knew I needed to feed them soon! I did exactly as the videos showed & nothing happened. I think they may have been old/poor quality. I just left them hoping they would hatch soon but they didn't. Two days later the ones I had ordered arrived & I prayed these would hatch quickly!!! They did but by this time only 2 babies had survived & 1 wouldn't eat. However, I'm happy to say its been about a week now & I think it my lone survivor's going to make it! Wish I could have saved more of

So since I have learned so much... I'm so excited! I decided to try again... My kids & I we re so upset about losing all but 1 of our 1st batch of eggs! While doing research here I found several people who had sold eggs in the past so I decided to ask about buying some. We just received them in the mail Thursday. They were laid 6/12/14 & all seem to be growing & developing well! They are hard to count without disturbing them too much but I think there are about 45 of them. My kids & I are amazed by them & enjoy watching them!

Please feel free to share any info you think may help me out as I want to be sure most if not all of this batch survives! : )

Bette

Reaction score
Welcome! Amanda, i meant to mention to you before that i recommend that you get a grindal worm culture as a backup, in case you have an issue hatching the baby brine shrimp. They are sooo easy! If this is something you would like to do, i highly recommend the seller on AquaBid.com with the username "Mosesfive".

AmandaW

Reaction score
Thank you, I will definitely do that to have a backup & also probably good to have a variety of foods! I have successfully hatched brine shrimp I think the vial I bought @ the pet store may have been bad. But I ordered some on Amazon & they hatch pretty quickly! Do you know if black worms are easy? Margie said that she feeds her babies those. Maybe I'll ask where she gets them or see if your recommended person sells them too!

Welcome! Amanda, i meant to mention to you before that i recommend that you get a grindal worm culture as a backup, in case you have an issue hatching the baby brine shrimp. They are sooo easy! If this is something you would like to do, i highly recommend the seller on AquaBid.com with the username "Mosesfive".

Bette

Reaction score
Thank you, I will definitely do that to have a backup & also probably good to have a variety of foods! I have successfully hatched brine shrimp I think the vial I bought @ the pet store may have been bad. But I ordered some on Amazon & they hatch pretty quickly! Do you know if black worms are easy? Margie said that she feeds her babies those. Maybe I'll ask where she gets them or see if your recommended person sells them too!

I've never tried feeding black worms, but definitely ask Margie about her source and how she keeps them!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1