Axolotl with fungus on her face?

Murphy family

Reaction score
Country
United States
My melanoid axolotl, Benicia, has grey marks on her face. Is this fungus? Please help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 549
It's not very clear, however it looks like a slime coat issue. Could you get a clearer photo?

You can add Indian aond leaves to the tank to help soothe it. If it is fungus (which actually looks very fuzzy like the mould on bread) you need to salt bath her. Please upload a photo before doing a salt bath as they can be very irritating.

I apologize for the blurry picture. I think she might have gotten in a fight with Neo, my golden albino. They are the same size, but Benicia has been bit badly before. Two of her gills were bit, and grew back split in starting as one, and then splitting in half. Here is a better picture. Sorry the picture is upside - down, I took it on my iPad and I can't figure out how to flip it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 410
Doesn't look fungus-y to me. Just add some Indian almond leaves to the tank it 1 cup of regular black tea per 10L. It'll provide relief, heal and is a mild anti fungal. Should go away reasonably quick.

What are your parameters and temp?

While you are waiting for the Indian almond leaves, you could try a tea bath as Hayley suggested. Brew a cup of tea (ordinary black tea, unflavoured) using dechlorinated water (one cup for every 10 litres of tank water), let it cool down and then simply add it to the tank. You can top it up when you do water changes. This has a similar effect to the Indian almond leaves - mildly antifungal and antibacterial. It will also help soothe the skin.
Clean, cool water is vitally important to healing, so keep an eye on your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temperature). This is the single most important thing you can do to keep your axie healthy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back