Question: Rejecting Food?

Sir Lancelotl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Lately Muffin (my female lotl) has been rejecting food where as Silvester (my male lotl) has been gladly munching it down. Does anybody have any ideas why this is happening?

What are your parameters and temp?

Sometimes they just go off food, keep offering, but a healthy adult can go a few weeks with no food.

My tank has been cycled and my temperature is 17-19. I think she may just not feel like it at the moment and I'm making mountains out of molehills.

Have you actually check your parameters? Cycled tanks can sometimes have spikes so it'll be good just to double check if you haven't already.

1. How often do you feed your axies?
2. What are you feeding them?
3. How often is Muffin refusing food? What HAS she eaten in the last week?
4. Is Muffin looking thin?
5. How old are your axies? How big?
6. What are you water parameter readings?
7. Has Muffin been exhibiting any other weird behaviour?
8. A picture of your set-up and axies would help.

1. I feed them every other day 2. Earthworms from my worm farm 3. Since a few days ago and she (just recently found out she is he!) had been eating vigorously before the hunger strike 4. No, not really it has only been a few days since she stopped eating, I just posted this because she usually loves eating all the time 5. They are about 7-8 months old and I have no idea how big cos they're always in awkward positions and I can never get an accurate measurement. 6. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10-20 nitrate and my tank ha been cycled. 7. He has been hiding in his cave/flower pot and coming out very rarely. 8. You should find a picture of the set-up attached.

Attachments

• P1050497.jpg
    P1050497.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 107
Is that a blue light or a regular one? And if it is a blue light, do you have it on all the time?
Your axolotl might just be having a mood? That happened to one of my newts one time for no apparent reason for a few days, and then he went back to normal. Just a thought. :p -Seth period

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back