Plant Cycling?

charbean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has already been asked, I tried to search but for some reason it doesn't work on my phone...

Anyway, my question is has anyone got any experience with plant cycling, or know how effective it is? Basically I currently have a 180L tank, which was second hand and we still have the old filter sponges (some were missing which we replaced, but there are 4 that came with the filter) we also were given 10L of cycled water from our aquatics store which has obviously been diluted somewhat. We currently have 4 of what I'm pretty sure are amazon sword and 2 floating moss balls and we plan to put some more in (the boyfriend is in charge of tank landscaping so I'm not sure what).
Would we be able to effectively, albeit slowly cycle our tank this way, or do you still recommend adding ammonia?
Time's not an issue as it's currently 28c in my apartment all day and I don't want to boil my axies!

Using water from an already cycled tank does nothing - there is little to no beneficial bacteria in the water column. They live in filter media, primarily.

Your tank isn't really going to start cycling with just plants in it - you need to add an ammonia source to get the beneficial bacteria to colonize.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back