Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: I'm wondering if the lil' guy is stressed.

WateRewStah

Reaction score
I just walked in on him doing this little tough guy stance and his tail bent. He doesn't do it often, I'm just concerned. Any help, info or tips?

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 104

HayleyK

Reaction score
Does it float? Of it's floating it could be a really big poop or fart coming. The first photos looks rather odd as it's bent on atleast 45 degree angle. What's temps and parameters?

Sweetie

Reaction score
Obviously, the first thing to do is check your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates levels and your tank temperature. If everything is normal, and he is otherwise behaving as he usually does, I wouldn't be too concerned. He looks healthy. He could simply be behaving like an axolotl. Axies are very strange little creatures. They do odd things. Very odd things!

WateRewStah

Reaction score
Haha! It would have to be a fart, he doesn't poop a bunch, and hasn't since before the photos were taken. The water temp is a steady 67 degrees. I don't have a test kit for the ammonia and nitrates. Do thy sell a kit to test for all of the necessary parameters? Od do you have to buy the kits individually?

:ufo:

HayleyK

Reaction score
Some companies have "master kits" which have ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Theyre not cheap but it's cheaper than buying individually.

Sweetie

Reaction score
Many people on this site recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It tests for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, PH and high PH. You should be able to find it online for about $25, though here in Australia it can be expensive - my LFS quoted me $80 yesterday, but I found an Aussie online source selling for $35. Shop around. But whatever you do, avoid the test strips. They can be very inaccurate if not stored and used exactly right. Buy a liquid test kit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1