Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are axolotls sensitive to fertilizers or co2?

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
I plan on eventually making my 50 gallon which will (eventually) hold 5 axolotls (2 at the moment, my other three have to grow up first) and I want to make it a beautiful lush planted tank with a full baby tears carpet and tons of driftwood covered in moss and plants. Most things will be tied down or weighted in some way so the axolotls can't dig anything up too much. Substrate will be soil with plastic mesh on top of it and sand on top of it, baby tears will be tied into the mesh under the sand and roots down into the soil, lots of rotala and hornwort curtains along the back of the tank, and probably some pvc pipe tunnels hidden within all the back curtain, maybe even some that goes under the substrate for little cave homes. Anyone, are axolotls cool with fertilizers and co2 injections?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Fertilisers are not good for a ies as they are absorbed through the skin. CO2 definately not safe.
I do believe that iron based ferts are OK-ish if you really must.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1