Question: CFB eft feeding

teddyballgame15

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have about 30 CFB larva, and a couple days ago the first of the larva finally emerged from the water and entered the eft stage. I still have two and a half dozen that need to enter the eft stage, so I am wondering what the best way to feed them is?

I'm sure feeding each newt individually would work, but that sounds like madness to me and I just don't have the time for it.

Anyone have any sort of mass feeding method that has worked effectively in the past?

i'll take any serious suggestions out there. I tried tiny chopped earthworm last night and the eft didn't really seem interested

Anything moving, but slowly will work. My pyrrho morphs get springtails, lesser waxworms, aphids and anything I can catch, really, but the bulk of their diets is hand fed earthworms. It's worth persisting with worms, you can really put weight on them quite quickly and get them large enough to become aquatic in a matter of months, after that they are as easy to care for as adults, just a lot smaller. :)

One of the easiest foods to feed are wingless fruitflies. This is basically the staple food of the dart frog hobby. Cultures are cheap and readily available, and they usually produce hundreds of flies every few days for about a month. Every other feeding it would be good to dust them with a vitamin supplement (Repashy Calcium Plus is good for this). For my juveniles I rotated between two fly cultures for a few weeks, and then moved them to a staple of earthworms.

Like Chinadog said, earthworms will boost their growth significantly.

He ignored tiny earthworms again so I'll try the wingless fruitflies first.

I appreciate the serious answers, thanks guys.

Sometimes they will refuse any food for weeks after morphing, not just worms. They also have to overcome their new found shyness. Even the most outgoing, greedy larvae seem to have to start their personality from scratch once they morph, so it can take a while for them to settle in to their new life on land.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back