Greetings from an Appalachian-Native Living in the South!

Tw1st3dR0s3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone! I joined this site a few years ago (and found it years before that), but I've finally decided to come out of my shell and post. :) Hopefully I'll post on here occasionally.

I am a veterinary researcher in-training (interested in env. tox.) who happens to also love amphibians (especially salamanders!). Unfortunately, our vet school curriculum doesn't cover amphibians though we do have lectures on reptiles and fish. :p As for my experience with amphibians, I actually was a volunteer at a zoo back in high school and intern in undergrad. I had the chance to work a little with tiger salamanders and hellbenders there. Right now, I am responsible for feeding the frogs (mostly different types of poison dart frogs) in my friend's 30 frog tanks. I would love to eventually have a short externship related to amphibian health when I am finally on rotations (if I can find one).

I have two tiger salamanders, a barred tiger salamander I've owned for almost five years and a blotched tiger salamander I've had for a little over a year. I absolutely love their personalities! My barred tiger is very special to me, and she has been with me through almost my entire college career (I had been wanting one since my junior year of high school though). She seriously doesn't fear anything, and, partially because of her (partially because of my friend), I am the go-to person for exotics among my classmates.

I'm currently making preparations for two axolotls which I should be purchasing in the coming weeks! I also recently discovered the Kaiser newt, and I may make it my goal to get a few of them next (which probably won't be for a few more years).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back