Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What kind of sand?

Noey Hart

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am going to start using sand for my future tank and I was wondering what kind of sand should I use. Can I use the same sand as my chinchilla's? Or sand for reptiles? Is any kind of sand okay as long as it is thin?
I would like some advices, sorry if that's a stupid question!

auntiejude

Reaction score
You need sand that is both fine and smooth, play sand for childrens' sand pit is usually recommended.
Avoid building sand as it tends to be rough, and some aquarium sands are also jagged as they have been created for surface area (for bacterial growth) rather than anything else.

Noey Hart

Reaction score
Actually just seen an old post here about chinchilla sand and apparently it's way too fine, so thank you for answering I will get playsand then :)

kjnorman

Reaction score
Also avoid reptile sand - it is often made with calcium compound or has added calcium, since most geckos, etc. need more calcium than their diet provides and they tend to ingest small amounts of sand from time to time.
The calcium will screw around with your water chemistry. Possibly if you have very soft water where you live this will be fine, but its not worth taking the risk, in my opinion.

Make sure the sand is silica sand, vs. calcium carbonate or something else. I got the "Super Naturals" brand of aquarium sand, it is very fine silica, and has worked well for me.

Noey Hart

Reaction score
Okay thank you I will try to find that! The only sands I can get here are chinchilla sand, reptile sand or fish sand :/
Axolotls aren't that popular here

keiko

Reaction score
Check your local hardware store. There's no need to buy the sand from a pet store as you'll probably find it a lot cheaper elsewhere. I have the kind of sand they use in sandblasting, it's super soft and smooth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1