Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Howdy c:

Lars

Reaction score
Obviously, I am from Texas. My real name is Lauren, Lars being my username. I work retail, but hopefully I will be going to school soon. I wouldn't mind being a petroleum engineer. In Texas it gets HOT. Luckily for my lots, I keep my apartment at 70 degrees, temperatures getting cooler at night. I got my first axolotl about three weeks ago, and needless to say, Caudata.org has been nothing but HELPFUL. So helpful in fact that I decided to join, in hopes of getting my own questions answered.

Like I said, I got my first axolotl about three weeks ago. He was a wee little wild type. His name is Deadpool, (due to the regeneration factor, and my boyfriend naming him), DP for short. He eats super well and is about seventeen weeks old, hatch day being February 27, 2014.

About a week later, I contacted the breeder and picked up a sibling of his, from the same "clutch" (not sure what the technical term is). You know, since you somehow get hooked on these cute little lotls. She is a leucistic, and her name is Mudkip, but I call her Kipper. She is the same age as DP.

They both have their own enclosure. I am unsure of the exact size of their little "tanks," but I would say it is about a gallon when empty. They started off in bare cups, so I put them initially in bare tanks. Then I added the same little fake plants about a week later. After I noticed the leucistic walking around more than swimming, I added some sand to the bottom. They get daily water changes, just like while they were in the cups. Their temperature stays at about 66 degrees Fahrenheit, not really getting above 68 degrees. They should be upgrading to a ten gallon or twenty gallon long soon. I am in the works of setting it up now, so by the time they are 'old' enough or large enough, I can put then together. I am just scared of them nipping at each other for right now.

Although born at the same time, my wild type was considerably smaller than the leucistic. I actually got to pick out my leucistic the same day and put her on hold. I took the wild type home and must have fattened him up, because by the time I had got the leucie home, he had grown substantially larger. He is still not as big as his sister, but he is catching up. By the way, I am obviously unaware of their sexes. I assume that the leucie is a female because she has a rounder body shape, where a DP is more slender.

Any who I don't want to bore anyone with my rantings... I'm a bit ADD and I tend to ramble. Thanks for reading, I'm glad to have found this website, full of interesting people and other lotl owners c: For some reason, I am having issues uploading photos at this time. I will try uploading them soon. If you have any comments or recommendations, please let me know. I take constructive criticism well. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1