Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl not eating

ashbeer92

Reaction score
I got two axolotls on Saturday (2 days ago) from two different aquariums.

I got a white axolotl from one which we believe will be a girl (Inca) but is still too small to confirm.
The second axolotl I brought is olive and is a male (Aristotle).

I settled them in at the same time and there has been no problems there but Aristotle will not eat. I have offered him food every day however he just will not eat however Inca has been eating every day.

I have check the water quality and everything is normal. The temperature in the tank is 19 degrees as this is the lowest the heater goes and if I do not turn on the heater the water varies too much throughout the day.

The bottom if the tank is sand which I brought from the aquarium and there is 4 plants in the tank so there is plenty of good bacteria.

Please help!

Note: although he hasn't been eating today in particular he has been very active

Skudo09

Reaction score
They are most likely just settling in. I would not worry just yet about them not eating. It can take them some time to settle into their new home.

I would remove the heater. Even in this cold weather, a heater is not necessary and they have been known to malfunction so personally I would not risk it. Did you cycle your tank first? What are the actual readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH? Also if one is significantly different in size, it may be worth getting a divider to avoid any nipping.

ashbeer92

Reaction score
Okay well thats okay I will turn off the heater. I set up the tank about a week before I got the axolotls however no it wasn't fully cycled.

I'm not at home to check what the readings are but the ph was 7.0 - 7.2 (its hard to tell the colours apart). My nitrate was the second top box if thats 5 or 10? My ammonia is 0 and I have checked it every day to ensure there hasn't been a spike.

Also one is probably only one - two inches bigger than the other but I have taken photos. If one looked like the other had hurt it or anything I would put in a divider however they are both fine.

How long do you suggest its okay that he doesn't eat for?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_6124.jpg
    IMG_6124.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_6114.JPG
    IMG_6114.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 317

Skudo09

Reaction score
OK, keep a close eye on the parameters, particularly ammonia and nitrite whilst it is cycling. Are you using test strips or a liquid testing kit? Test strips have been known to be inaccurate. Liquid test kits are more reliable.

There doesn't look like a big size difference between them. They are very nice looking axolotls :).

They can go for some time without food and whilst settling in, they could take a week or so to fully settle. Also if they were on a different diet at the store, they may also take some time adjusting to the diet you are offering. Have you tried earthworms? Earthworms are very nutritious for them, are not messy and very cheap (especially if you start up your own worm farm :)

ashbeer92

Reaction score
I just woke up and got so scared! Inca was floating at the top but after poking her she swam down to the bottom and are normally.

No I haven't thought about earth worms. Would my local aquarium sell them? I would prefer to buy them than start a worm farm though.

No I have liquid test kits for everything.

I will keep trying and let you know.

The only problem is that I brought them from aquariums that are no where near me as currently in Melbourne they are very hard to get a hold of.

Thank you

Skudo09

Reaction score
You can get them at stores that sell bait for fishing like BCF. Though it is far cheaper to have your own worm farm and worm farms are pretty easy to manage.

Bette

Reaction score
You can get them at stores that sell bait for fishing like BCF. Though it is far cheaper to have your own worm farm and worm farms are pretty easy to manage.

I second the worm farm idea. I recently started a red worm bin in the basement, and it has worked out well. It took a bit of modification to the bin in order to prevent escapees, but I've got the hang of it now. They certainly are easy keepers.

laine

Reaction score
Have you tried offering different types of food.
My axi is fussy so i have to give him different foods each time i feed him, he has gone off earth worms but will eat blood worms, liver, fish and an occasional ghost shrimp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1