Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Confirmation

HayleyK

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm usually good with sexing axolotls however my golden stumps me. (S)he is about 9 months old, I know it can be too early too tell at this age. It's coloca is big on a side view, and only visible from top view when it's back is arched to the side but I feel like it's got womanly curves :lol:.

Boy that I over feed? Girl that's got some bumps going on?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 180

HayleyK

Reaction score
Please note I do not keep him in that small container, as you can tell by this picture, their tub had bad lighting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 151

auntiejude

Reaction score
It's a boy! Boys can be tubby, I find males are barrel-shaped and females are pear-shaped.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Yay it's a boy! I thought it was a boy but he's a bit plump and I've read boys tend to be slim. I'll keep that in mind for the other two :) Finally a name that fits the sex :lol:

sde

Reaction score
The pear shaped cloaca's in females is pretty common in newts and salamanders. Same for the barrel shape in males.
The pair shape in the females aids in egg laying, which makes sense that that shape would help.
Boys do tend to be slimmer I find in most newt and salamander species, but it does vary from individual to individual some.

Yep, a boy indeed. Congrats :happy: -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1