Illness/Sickness: Flesh eating desease happy ending???

Luciole

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and to newts. My husband and I decided to get newts on Thursday, we had a nice little tank already cycled with lots of plants.
When we got our 2 newts they looked heathy according to what we read except that they were kept in the same room as tropical lizards, so their water was kinda hot for them.
I noticed on Friday that one of them was having a hard time with a leg but since they were still very shy it was hard to see properly and I didn't want to bother them to avoid useless stress.
On Saturday I was able to have a closer look and it simply seemed like a sore, I thought maybe it just got hurt in the tank when we first put them in, but as of today, Monday night, the sore has clearly become bigger and it is also missing a few toes. It seems that the other one is also just starting now to show a few redness on some limbs. I am feeling terrible for them!
We decided to put them in a concentrated salt bath in the fridge like we saw online, they are currently sitting in. When their 30 minutes is over, I will apply the right type of neosporin on the injured parts and put them in a very low salted water with a tiny bit of food and back in the fridge for a day or two or three.
I know that this sickness is terrible and they will most likely die, but is there a chance they can make it? And if I see it's just spreading terribly, can I put them in the freezer to kill them fast like we do with sick fish? So I don't have to see them suffer through it.:(

Thanks in advance!

Several year ago when I didn't know about this site and didn't know how to properly care for newts I had a noto survive an infection that cause him to loose a leg. He was able to fight off the infection by getting out of the water on a little floating island. The leg eventually grew back.

I've also had success with salt baths and refrigeration. There is a great tutorial somewhere in this section of the forum. If it looks to be too late there's an article about euthanasia on the caudata culture webpage.

Very important to have proper tempeture. Too hot = stress, diseae, and organ failure. Good luck.

Unfortunately they were more sick then we thought, I guess they also had internal stuff wrong because they started oozing some kind of gross goo and one of them bled from it's mouth. They are both gone now :(

We did a lot of research before getting them, getting the tank fully cycled, making sure they are in a nice cold water (not a problem in Canada!), having filtrating and all and all, yet we got sick little dudes that just couldn't make it :(

It saddens me that my first experience with newt is such a bad one.

If you decide to get a new newt, I would recommend finding a good breeder, and not buying the WC petstore newts. P. waltl is available regularly, and CB, and relatively easy to care for.
And salt baths are irritating the newts, which is why they're only used for fungus.

Unfortunately I don't think there are breeders where I live, I think I can only get pet store ones and they all seem to be wild ones. Sad.

I know it is bad to get them from the pet store but if I can't find any breeders that ship to Quebec city, is there any way to detect healthy ones at the store? My husband and I thought we had done enough reading to be able to detect sick ones, but from what just happened I guess we were wrong... or just not very lucky...
I know we will avoid the pet store we got the first one from, they were kept in a way too hot tank.

The breeds you suggested me look cool but I really like the very small fire belly, the Orientalis one I believe. I like to keep small critters.

Theres a section on this forum for For Sale Ads, although you probably won't find any CB H. orientalis. H. orientalis are imported from Asia in terrible conditions and when they arrive the pet stores don't usually house them correctly anyway. Because they're so stressed, they will often refuse food, and even refuse going into the water, even though H. orientalis adults are mostly fully aquatic and really only need a piece of floating cork bark if anything. And buying from a petstore just tells them that the animal is selling, so they just get more imported.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back