Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Yellowing juvenile axie?

allied123

Reaction score
Sorry for the long read but I wanted to make sure I got down all the details, the problem is bolded on the bottom. So in mid May I got two albino juvenile axies from Margie they were about 2/3 inches ( and absolutely perfect!) and have been growing like crazy (the larger one being about 6 inches and the now smaller one being about 5.5/5.75). They are both in a small 10 gallon tank for the time being (I have a 20 long but cant set it up until august because im moving around).

I do not have exact tank readings at the moment (I cant find a liquid test kit for the life of me, I used strips before but no matter what they didnt change much...) I do have a seachem ammonia thing in the water which is supposed to change colors if the ammonia levels get to more than .5 ppm and it shows less than that so I'm assuming the ammonia level is fine. Because I cant test the water I'm assuming the cycle isn't so great (long story short I had to move for a month and will have to move again in two weeks for another month and then I'll finally be settled for at least a year, so I'm not caring too much about the cycle) and am changing probably 90% of the water every 2-3 days.

The main issue here is that while the larger one seems perfectly fine and a very healthy white like I've seen on many other people's pictures, the smaller one seems to be getting very yellow...

Sweetie

Reaction score
Can you post pics please? If your lotl is not showing any other signs of ill-health, it may simply be natural colouring and nothing to worry about.

allied123

Reaction score
I can't figure out how to post pictures... I know there was a thread but I can't seem to find it now.. if someone could link that I could as soon as I get home!

rachel1

Reaction score
Past the bottom of your post there is a "manage attachments" button. Click on that and go from there. There are detailed instructions on here somewhere, but I'm not sure how to find them.

rachel1

Reaction score
A yellowish color can be natural pigment, a gfp animal may have a yellow cast, it could be dietary (though it seems if you feed them the same that would be unlikely), or it can be a sign of a problem with the liver.

allied123

Reaction score
Okay figured out how to add pictures but I will have to take a better picture when i get home, can't really tell with the ones I have but they aren't gfp as far as I know and yes they both get fed bloodworms and axolotl pellets from ed's I am planning on trying a worm farm as soon as I move, thanks for the suggestions and teaching a newbie how to add pictures lol

Margie

Reaction score
It's possible I sent you a melanoid golden albino along with a white albino. They look alike when they're small. I usually separate out the melanoid goldens (by using a magnifier) but maybe one slipped by me? :(

They tend to be kind of a light cream color next to a white albino.

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
I would love to see a picture of this melanoid golden albino you speak of! Sounds pretty nifty.

allied123

Reaction score
These are my little guys, cooling off in a tub, their tank got a little hot today, but I think you right be right Margie, these are my first axies and the yellow scared me lol

Attachments

• 1404250734291.jpg
    1404250734291.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 1404250751455.jpg
    1404250751455.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 176

allied123

Reaction score
so uh not to push the subject but does anyone think the yellow guy looks sick or its just his coloring?

rachel1

Reaction score
Looks nice and healthy to me. I think it's his natural color. Probably like Margie said its a different color mutation than your other one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1