Shipping eggs in warm weather?

Lexolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lex
Hello all!

My axolotls recently laid a batch of eggs, and I was going to post them up as usual but then I had a thought. I live in Texas, and it's July. Temperatures have been in the low 90's so far, which is mild so far, but they'll only be going up from here.

Can eggs be shipped in hot weather like this? If so, what precautions should I take so that they arrive safe?

You'll need to pack them in an insulated container and box with an ice pack. My temp controlled deliveries come in a polystyrene box inside another polystyrene box with an ice pack inside to keep it all cool.
Make sure the ice pack won't freeze the eggs though.

And ship as quick as couriers allow - I think I would limit deliveries to anywhere you can shipp to on an overnight service - any longer than that and the whole thing could be affected by high temps. Or you could pay out for temp controlled delivery - probably a bit pricey though.

Thanks! I'll try to stay local, and only guarantee "live" arrival if shipped overnight.
Where might I be able to find boxes like that? Post office?

No idea - I don't know whats available on your side of the Atlantic!

Ha ha! Sorry, didn't realize how far away you were. Thanks for your help!

Lex check your local vet clinic. We get them all the time. Or you can get boxes at the post office and cut foam from the home improvement store for them. I order from tsksupply.com if you want to have some on hand for the future, won't get to you quick enough now. I am in central tx and received some healthy eggs this week that were shipped priority (sat-Monday) in a water bottle between two frozen water bottles and they did beautifully.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back