Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How often can axolotls breed?

Geckogal

Reaction score
My female just laid about 300 eggs on the 20th of June.

While cleaning my tank the divider fell. About a half hour later, when I finished with the canister filter, I noticed the males were chasing her with the axolotls tango and there were spermatophores. I immediately put the divider back up and cleaned all of the spermatophores out.

My question is, can she become fertilized and lay eggs again so soon?

It's only been about a week and a half. I'm afraid it would be too stressful for her.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Every 3 weeks in top condition!
Yes, a divider is ideal, but if you found spermatophores it may already be too late this time.

Geckogal

Reaction score
So do you think it is possible so early?

I didn't want to breed her again until next year so I could give her a good rest in between.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Its possible - male axies are always optimistic! But less than 2 weeks is probably too soon.

kjnorman

Reaction score
If you caught them right away and cleaned out all the spermatophores, I think you can be optimistic that you averted unplanned eggs.
Breeding so close together is not ideal, but unless your female is very young or underweight she will probably be fine - probably you know someone who had children very close together, or had a dog that got pregnant while still weaning her puppies. It's not ideal, but given overall good health and an ample supply of nutritious food, not terribly harmful.
So just spoil her a little and try not to worry :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!