Can I turn my normal axolotl into a gfp?

Alonyamin

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi,
I have an Axolotl that I would like to turn him into a gfp axolotl.
Is there a way I can do it?

Oh boy. Incoming flame fest.
I would say don't try and also warn you that a lot of people see it as torturous animal cruelty in the first place. It's also illegal to have a gfp anything in most countries.

No, you cannot. The GFP gene has been taken from jellyfish DNA and inserted in the axolotl DNA. It is a genetically modified organism. Unless you are planning some backyard genetic engineering, it's not possible. You would need some pretty sophisticated laboratory equipment, and access to the proper jellyfish DNA. All captive GFP Axolotl's are direct descendants of animals that have had their DNA manipulated in a lab setting. If you want a GFP animal, I would suggest buying one. Please check the laws in your country, as I know they are illegal in some European countries. I personally don't think the GFP trait is cruel, it is a mutation we have selectively bred for, like albinoism and melanoid animals. The only difference is that this trait was artificially introduced by human intervention. I do think that exposing the animals to UV light to express the trait can be harmful and should be discouraged. UV light is proven to be harmful to DNA, so a mutation that encourages large quantities of UV exposure could be unfortunate for the animal in the wrong hands.

The gfp gene was inserted into an axolotl gamete I believe, which means it was inserted when the axolotl was still only one cell. To insert a gene into every cell of an adult axolotl (or any organism) would be amazing but not likely at this stage of science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back