Illness/Sickness: Black tiny spots

Gab2013

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Today I saw that my Axi, she has black tiny spots. My first impression was sand or poo but I try to remove it and I couldn´t so is not that. I have seen her moving a lot this couple of days. Today I decided to put her in the fridge but I wonder what can it be and if I doing right. I read about fungus but I don´t believe is that. Do you now something about it and what to do? The water is clean and my other Axi is ok. I have not pictures now but I could try tomorrow. I don´t think I should do salt baths. Ideas of what can it be!?

Pictures? Some axolotls just have spots on them. My wild type has a bunch of white spots on his tail that I didn't notice until he was about 4", I thought they were fungus and freaked out, but it was just his coloring.

Until you know what the problem is you should avoid any treatment - no need to fridge or salt bathe at this point, just isolate.

Pictures are essential - you's be surprised how often people try to 'cure' iridophores and freckles.

Hi this is a photo of her today. I have photos of her without and that´s the reason of my concern. Hope it helps to know what it is. Thanks!

IMG_3901.jpg

That looks like regular poop to me - if you get a cotton bud and wipe gently it should come off.

If it doesn't come off it may be a skin infection - adding indian almond leaves may help.

Would it be possible to take a few more pictures showing the overall condition?
Are there any other areas on the body where this is showing up besides the cloaca?

I'll add that regardless if the fridging here was necessary, it is recommended to continue for atleast a few days if you have already started. You want to avoid drastic changes in temperature in a very short period of time.

Hi, I tried to remove with a cotton bud so I suppose is an infection. I take another photo of the area. It seems ok but the spots are there. I supposed my Axi Junnueth can stay at least three days inside the fridge and then let her be alone until is well.
I wondered if the infection goes by itself or I need the leaves. I am not sure where to find them and how to do this treatment. Should I start when she is out the fridge in reguar temperature?

Thanks

IMG_3908.jpg

Last edited:
I would venture a guess of a bacterial infection but it could even be parasitic. It's definitely uncommon and for proper identification and treatment, you will likely need the assessment of a vet.

I do remember similar issues posted on here before and will include some links in hopes they offer some insight:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...lotl/89335-recent-black-colouring-change.html

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...cloaca-leucistic-growing-veins-his-gills.html

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...amander-help/58646-help-black-spots-what.html

Be sure to keep us updated. I'm curious to know what this is. If you get a chance could you take some more pictures showing his whole body? He doesn't have to be out of the water.

Thank you for the links! :angel:

My Axi has been in the fridge for three days now and I am thinking that tomorrow should be the last day. I notice that her gills are shorter now and that is not so good because it is a sign of stress. I supposed her gills are not to grow up again and I am sorry for that.
Just tomorrow I am going to buy the Indian Almond leaf and see if she be better. I send a photo of the whole body tomorrow. She is ok in the rest of the body.
I am going to see if I can find a vet in my area.

I notice that her gills are shorter now and that is not so good because it is a sign of stress.

Make sure the temperature of your fridge does not drop below 5C as this poses the risk of cellular damage (more info).

It could just be that the reduced metabolism often gives axoltols an almost anemic appearance which can make the gill filaments look reduced.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back