Putting axolotls of differing sizes together

Plc98

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have 2 axolotls that are both female, but one is a bit smaller than the other. They are in a 60 gallon tank with a divider in the middle, and I was wondering if now would be a suitable time to put them together, as each one of them has gotten around the divider a few times in the last few months, and they have not shown any aggressiveness toward each other. the larger one is wild type, and the smaller one is lecustic with the glowing green mutation. they are about 3 and a half years old. the smaller one is 6 inches long and the larger one is about 7.25 inches long. the small one is slightly skinnier than she ought to be and the large one is a healthy girth. any feedback would be welcome, thanks!

As long as one can't eat the other whole then it should be fine. That being said some axolotls are aggressive so if they nip each other a lot separate them. Also most the time a few nips will happen while they get to know each other so don't freak out if it happens a couple times in the days or even weeks following. The fact that they're in the same tank and have probably spent time looking at each other through the divider means they probably are already comfortable with each other.

As long as one can't eat the other whole then it should be fine. That being said some axolotls are aggressive so if they nip each other a lot separate them. Also most the time a few nips will happen while they get to know each other so don't freak out if it happens a couple times in the days or even weeks following. The fact that they're in the same tank and have probably spent time looking at each other through the divider means they probably are already comfortable with each other.
Yeah, they have been in the same tank for going on two years now, and I don't think that the smaller one could fit inside the larger one's mouth, but the reason I am cautious is that that last Easter, the larger one bit off the smaller ones right leg at the joint, and I was wondering if that would cause any problems

Usually it's recommended that the size difference would be max 2 inches, so your axies should be fine. But ofcourse it's good to keep an eye on them and be ready to separate them incase they start nipping each other a lot. It is possible that one of them will lose a leg or something, but luckily axies are great healers as long as their environment is fine.

i have 5 Axies, one of them being the runt, who is a little bigger than half the size of his tank mates, and all get along nicely. I think it all depends on the axies. All of mine were raised with tank mates, and they seem to not mind each others presence.

Half the size you say?
elise-albums-scary-don-t-look-here-picture34142-big-small.jpg

Half the size you say?
elise-albums-scary-don-t-look-here-picture34142-big-small.jpg

I had a nightmare last night that I walked into my living room and saw my melanoid doing that to my golden... They're the same size. It was an awful dream..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back