Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Indoor axolotl pond!

HMontross

Reaction score
Wanted to share mine and my husband's axolotl pond project with everyone!

The pond is a hard liner, 40-gallons, contains fake plants, no substrate, and will house two axies (a leucistic and a wild type). We used a tarp to line the wooden frame, and filled the spaces with bricks and soil. I have also planted live plants to the left of the pond to spruce things up. Lining the outside of the frame are fake plants, for now, and we also plan to cut the tarp back and make a nicer lining to hide the remaining length of tarp.

The setup is near a window that is covered by an awning, so it doesn't get too sunny. The pond is also under a ceiling vent to aid in keeping the water temperature down during summer time.

Measurements are: (L)4ft x (W)3ft x (D)2ft

I'm still wondering about pond plants, though. Are there any absolute "NO!"s for axolotl habitats? I know most pond plants are out of the question because of the lack of sunshine and a substrate. I really would like to stay away from duckweed for fear of ingestion. I do want to keep the water surface mostly open to view the axies, but I would like to give them a sense of security and somewhere to hide. There aren't any shelves in the pond, so a potted plant is out of the question.

This is our first attempt at an indoor pond. Recommendations are most certainly welcome!

Attachments

• AxolotlPond1.jpg
    AxolotlPond1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 693
  • AxolotlPond2.jpg
    AxolotlPond2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 719
  • AxolotlPond3.jpg
    AxolotlPond3.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,798
  • AxolotlPond4.jpg
    AxolotlPond4.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,138

sde

Reaction score
Looks great! But one question, doesn't it need a lid or something? It looks like the axolotls could easily escape out of that.

But besides that, it looks fantastic! Well done! -Seth

HMontross

Reaction score
The water level is about three inches from the top, and while I know axolotls can leap from the water, they haven't yet from the tank they currently reside in. I have a net that I can top the frame with for when I'm not home, so I will probably do that!

HMontross

Reaction score
Still a little tarp to cut back, but I'm very happy with the results!

Attachments

• AxolotlPond5.jpg
    AxolotlPond5.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 724

Shivermetim

Reaction score
That's beautiful and awesome I'm probably gonna steal that idea at some point lol

mshine1217

Reaction score
That is such a cool idea! Unfortunately, my two Giant Schnauzer's would use it as a watering hole :kiss:

ciele02

Reaction score
Hi, that looks awesome!....Im afraid I'll be stealing that idea too!...lol it looks like you've inspired a couple of us :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1