Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Domestic axies need a name!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As most people around this forum already know thanks to the educational value and information content of this forums, domestic axolotls are the result of an hybridisation event as well as pretty intense selective breeding. In short, what exists in captivity is a domestic population which is not representative of the actual wild species, which incidentally is going, or might already be, extinct.
It is an unfortunate fact that while the knowledge of these facts about the domestic populations is widespread, it is not acknowledged in the same way as it is with other, similar cases. In the hobby there are many examples of domestic populations or hybrid populations, or both which receive distinctive names to separate and identify them from the wild or parental populations. This is, of course very useful. It's how language works, we use labels to identify distinctive things and this allows us to discriminate them from other, similar things.
I've long wondered why it is that domestic axolotls don't have their own name. Everybody refers to them as axolotls, exactly the same label as the wild species even though you may almost certainly be talking about an hybrid individual. It's rather strange considering that, as i said before, this doesn't happen in many other cases.
This is why i would like to propose a contest! A contest for the new name for domestic axolotls, one that acknowledges that they are an independent population, with their unique genetic history in captivity. Typically, in this hobby, the names of such populations are given by individuals who make certain crosses. They "create" the hybrid and they name it. Everyone else simply adopts the new label and it becomes part of the language among hobbyists. We, however, have the chance to elect the name that we like best as a collective and the largest caudate community there is.
If you like the idea and would like to submit your own label of choice, please do so here. If this proposal gains popularity and many choices are proposed we will later on have a thread were we can vote and elect our own label! It can be anything you like!

auntiejude

Reaction score
The obvious answer is a latin name variation.
To differentiate from 'natural' axolotls you could suggest 2 subspecies of A. mexicanum:
Natural axolotls would be A. mexicanum vulgaris
Pet (hybrid) axolotls would be A. mexicanum domesticum or familiaris.

I don't think you'll ever persuade people to lose the name axolotl - it's a great word derived from an ancient language, and it's peculiar enough to conjure up an odd-looking creature - which is exactly what they are!

Although a quick search on Mayan language has led me to:
lukum chi'bal - meaning worm biter
laylie wi'ih - meaning always hungry

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I was not contemplating the idea of a formal nomenclature, at all. I`m simply talking about giving it a common name that can be used among hobbyists like so often happens with other groups of animals.
As for convincing people, i was hoping people would convince themselves by proposing great new names xD After all, even though "axolotl" is the colloquial term, we all know that there are infinite variations of that name, and not just because many people have very....inventive...spellings of the word, but because there are many nicknames if you will. I don't see why a new term that sufficiently appeals to the axolotl keeping community couldn't catch on. Stuff like that happens all the time so why not give it a go?

xxianxx

Reaction score
It would be easier to rename the non hybridised/wild axolotls as there are a lot less of them and people are resistant to change.

sde

Reaction score
Ambystoma mexicanum mexicanum for the wild population, and Ambystoma mexicanum Tigrinum for the domestic population.

Sorry if this is nomenclatural wrong, but I have a poor understanding of nomenclature. To me though A. m. mexicanum would make sense for the wild form as it is the original axolotl so to speak. And then A. m. Tigrinum for the captive population since it has been hybridized with A. Tigrinum ( Among others ).

So like I said, I am don't really know that much about nomenclature etc., but I thought I would throw my two cents out there. -Seth

oceanblue

Reaction score
I suggest the laboratory axolotl as almost all versions in "domestic" circulation originate from lab stock and it has scientific precedent and some usage in the scientific literature. Evolutionary genetics of metamorphic failure using ... [Mol Ecol. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

We could propose a classification similar to that introduced by Endler guppy sellers (N documented all the way back to the wild/ K definitely hybridised/P looks like wild but not documented) but explaining the origin of your beast in a widely understood language is good enough for me. A GM albino axolotl is a long way from the wild. It has bits of tiger salamander DNA, jellyfish DNA and a cytomegalovirus gene promoter. Despite this it is probably still best classified as A. mexicanum just as I am classified as H. Sapiens despite recent discoveries that most europeans incorporate bits of Neanderthal DNA.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks oceanblue. I would like to stay clear from formal nomenclature, i don't see the point of even touching it as an hypothetical exercise in the context of this hobby.
I didn't know about that system for endlers, it's an interesting one, but to be honest i was thinking more on the lines of coining a colloquial name for domestic axolotls that appeals to people, like perhaps "lab axolotls" as you suggested, or something else entirely. I'm curious to see if anyone will chime in with some weird suggestion. I know the axie community in here is the most socially and perhaps informally oriented segment, this seems like the kind of thing that could get people's interest.

Shivermetim

Reaction score
Iv heard the name water dog's but im unsure as to if they where referring to the axolotls or another critter I like the name tho. I'd like to call them snarf because he had to be some kinda hybrid im horrible at names tho

auntiejude

Reaction score
Water dogs are tiger salamander larvae.
I hate the term 'mexican walking fish' - it's not a ****ing fish!!!
I still want to go with laylie wi'ih - meaning always hungry

sde

Reaction score
Water dogs are tiger salamander larvae.
I hate the term 'mexican walking fish' - it's not a ****ing fish!!!
I still want to go with laylie wi'ih - meaning always hungry

Maybe I am just lazy, but laylie wi'ih seems difficult to type. I don't know that other people would want to take the time to type that, just a thought.

I thought we were trying to come up with Latin names, not common names? Oh well, here goes my shot at one.

"Adipem" which is Latin for fat. A rather fitting name for them.

Geckogal

Reaction score
Gillipup
Flowerkip
Neomander

Vermessum- (worm eater)

I have seen someone call them "water dragons" if we are looking for a simple term. Even though there is a reptile under the same name.

willowcat

Reaction score
How about the name 'Woodchuck' ? That way we can ask each other 1,258 times a day this question......How much wood, would, a Woodchuck chuck, if, a Woodchuck could, chuck wood?

hmmm......are there any Woodchucks in Europe?
:frog::errr::dizzy::crazy::rofl::uhoh:;):happy::wink::grin::eek::confused:

Last edited:

auntiejude

Reaction score

Attachments

• squirrel.jpg
    squirrel.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 117
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1