Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Greetings from Long Island, NY!

primeline31

Reaction score
Hi, all! I'm new to Caudata.org. I and my family have been long-time members of the Long Island Herpetological Society (20 years now) and I have belonged to other hobby clubs all my life (rock, mineral & lapidary, African violet society, Koi club, parrot society - though we do not have parrots now), etc.

I work in an elementary school as a computer TA. About 4 years ago I made a 10 gal. vivarium for 3 firebelly toads. This is kept on an overhead projector cart (because it has a power strip built in for the pump) that is wheeled from room to room.

It is used as a reward for good behavior. When the student(s) are polite, quiet in the halls, helpful, diligent, etc. they are rewarded with a paper image of a frog. There are long laminated strips on the wall outside the principal's office that have a single teacher's name at the top. These paper frogs are taped to the strip and on Fridays, the frogs are awarded for that week to whoever has the most frogs.

For the upcoming school year the principal and I have decided to set up an axolotl viviarium for the same purpose, which is why I have come to Caudata.org. My husband and I had an axolotl a long, long time ago so I have some knowledge of their requirements, but as you know, there's always a lot to learn and I'm certain I will find all that I need here!

Alas, there are very few axolotls on LI that I can find. Only 1 person has advertised that they are anticipating eggs hatching soon, therefore, if there are any fellow LI'ers who have one or two for adoption or sale, I'd be very interested. Bye for now! :D

[Edit] p.s.: I have a couple of 20 gallon long tanks that would be the axolotl's residence when not at school. I never leave any animals at the building when the school is closed for a week or more.

Last edited:

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! You can surely get an axie from someone here. Look at the "For Sale" ads section. Good luck! Sounds like great motivator!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1