Not Sick But Injured, Tips would be nice

axolotlboy21

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I have 2 axolotl, one 8 years old now and another close to 1 year. They have been living together amicably for over 6 months now and just last night they must have gotten into a tussle. My younger axolotl (Rambo) has marks on his "chin" and front leg as well as a noticeable chunk of his tail and one gill missing. I have separated the 2 for obvious reasons. I was wondering if there was any suggestion of how to make Rambo heal up a little faster? I now have each of them in their own tank and will keep it this way from now on. Anything to help heal him? I feel bad for the little guy.

Im a novice at best but from what I've gathered so far keep him well fed with worms and nice cool clean water a little rest and relaxation im not sure if the fridge method is for healing battle wounds but as I said im a novice at best hopefully someone more knowledgeable will correct me or add additional information for better/quicker healing best wishes

Some people like to fridge their axies after injuries, but it's not necessary if the water is cool anyways. Just make sure all the water parameters are excellent and keep him well fed and stress free. And keep an eye out for any infections or fungus.
You might also like to add some indian almond leaves to his tank. They are mildly antibacterial and antifungal.

Ebay or some fish stores have them too. I got mine from a seller called amy-lim on Ebay and they're very good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back