Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possible West Virginia Ban on Order Caudata

Tw1st3dR0s3

Reaction score
If there are any active West Virginia residents on here, would you be willing to update me on the new exotic animal laws? I'm a WV native (still have residency there though I don't live in the state), and I read today that the most recent exotic animal bill passed. I guess the Division of Natural Resources gets to make the list of banned animals, and the information I have seen includes all of Order Caudata.

Since I don't live in WV, it would be nice if someone could provide better information on how much of this is true. I've read that people with these pets will be grandfathered in with a $100 annual license, and you will not be able to breed your animals or buy more. The list is only in discussion right now, so isn't set in stone.

Here's the list I found: http://www.usark.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/West-Virginia-DWA-Proposed-List-6.11.14.pdf

Tw1st3dR0s3

Reaction score
The list was officially released by the state, and yes, it includes all of order Caudata. Salamanders are the only animals besides a dog that I own. -_-
http://apps.sos.wv.gov/adlaw/csr/readfile.aspx?DocId=25971&Format=PDF

I will be writing a response to my home state's representatives for sure, and I'm currently in communication with the rest of the vet students from my state to make sure they know as well. The proposed ban list even includes neon tetras, hedgehogs, turtles, sugar gliders, and rabbits, so it will affect those of us wanting to practice exotic animal medicine. I'm probably not going to return to my home state, but I did want to learn more about amphibian medicine as a hobby.

herpguy

Reaction score
Just another example of what happens when legislation is written without advising done by a competent Zoologist. I remember when a similar thing happened in CT.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!