Maybe a silly question about Sand...

Nukleopatra

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,
This may be a silly question but i want to make sure im doing the right thing. I bought some play sand from the hardware store on recommendation from several websites about axolotl substrates. However when i got it home i realised its not that fine sand but the kind of gravelly sand that you find near the water at the beach (if that makes sense?) Its much tinier than normal gravel but not as fine as id hoped, Does it matter? Im worried my new axolotl may eat it?? or is it small enough. Thanks!

What's the grain size?

All good now,! i decided to sift the sand through a sieve to make it finer!:happy:

Yes if it's Bunnings playsand it's all good but does require sifting.

I've been dragging a scoop net through mine every major clean for 6 months and have only just got all the rocks out.

I'd give it a thorough rinsing as well, as there's plenty of clay dust in it too.

Not a silly question at all....it's good stuff and cheap, but needs some prep before use.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back