Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick axie! please help!

Baobei16

Reaction score
I noticed that my axie (Zora) was very swollen the other day and saw that she was trying to poop but couldnt. I read some post about axolotl constipation and decided to fridge her and she did finally poop.

My problem is that after she pooped, her swelling hasn't gone down at all. In fact it seems to have gotten worse. And her underside seems to be collecting blood.
She's not floating and is active despite looking like a deformed balloon.

She is still being fridged with 100% water changes daily. She hasn't been fed since being fridged which is about 3 days ago. Before that, she was being fed bloodworms.

She is about 4 and a half months old.

Please, someone help!

Attachments

• IMG_20140710_020601.jpg
    IMG_20140710_020601.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_20140710_020615.jpg
    IMG_20140710_020615.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20140710_020857.jpg
    IMG_20140710_020857.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 451

Velice

Reaction score
That axie needs to see a vet ASAP.
Not to be rude but what exactly do you see a vet being able to do here? I'm not an expert but I don't think there is much you can do once there is internal bleeding. I think your axolotl is probably suffering and if it were mine, I would look into euthanasia.

Skudo09

Reaction score
I agree with Auntiejude, get Zora to a vet ASAP.

Velice, on the small chance they could offer something, I would recommend seeing a vet. Even if they are not able to offer any treatment they should be able to offer a safe, humane method of euthanasia.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1