Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My tiger likes to be more in the water than land

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
I just finished about a month ago making a half water, half land terrarium for my female tiger salamander and it turned out good , now for the first weeks she was fine digging deep underground and all but all of a sudden for the passed 5 days she wants to be in the water all day, I would take her out and she would go right back in a few minutes later, she goes in and out of the water thru the rocks and eats healthy on land every 2 days and goes back in the water, in her old tank she had a water dish and she barely went in there, she is about 4 years old I've had her since she was a small larva, I am changing the filter to an intank one and I am waiting on a new background from eBay but there's the pic of the tank , I just want to know if it's normal behavior or can something be wrong, I feed her dusted crickets and the occasional pinky once a month, she won't eat earthworms even when she was a larva, the light is on for a few of hours a day it's not a heat lamp or anything, temperatures here range from 68—72 degrees, it's hot here in Miami, uploadfromtaptalk1405376797826.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

RPM

Reaction score
Some tigers have more of an attraction to the water than others. A terrestrial adult does not need a half and half set up. I recommend going back to a water dish. Also, the light is not necessary and will probably do better without it. Try withholding the crickets and pinkies for a couple of weeks and introduce her to earthworms every couple of days. Most will eat them if hungry enough. I would cut back the pinkies to once every two to three months.

sde

Reaction score
I don't have the answer to you question, but I noticed that you have one of those red and white decorations in your tank. I had two of them in my tank for a while as I thought they were tank safe, but they started to turn a blackish color, so I don't think they are.
Yours might be different, but I would keep any eye on it just incase. -Seth

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
I put her in a bigger enclosure because I plan on getting another tiger, I mean I don't see anything wrong with a 60% land and 40% water area, she gets in and climbs out fine from the water, I'll most likely get a tint for light fixture glass because she dashes a bit when I turn the light on, now she is currently under the ecoearth with her head poking out a little, I have tried to skip feedings for almost her to eat earthworms and she wouldn't touch them chopped or whole, I even killed a cricket and shook it on top of piece of chopped worm and she took both but spit them out ate the cricket,

I have had the red and white aquarium rocks for years and never had a problem with them

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!