Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my tank ok for my axies?

JealousVixy

Reaction score
Hey everyone :)
so i've had my two axies in tubs with 100% water changes for a long while now because my cycle crashed and it's finally almost up to scratch. i have some feeder fish in there at the moment and they have been in for a week with no sickness or death. but ammonia is still slightly showing on the tests. levels are:
ammonia - under 0.25
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 15ppm on average

i do 30% water changes weekly on the tanks. im just wondering if its safe to put my two axies back in the tank yet? because both them and i would love to see them out of their tubs.

thx :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
It should be OK, just keep a check on your water as there will likely be some fluctuations in ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levles when you change the bioload in the tank.

keiko

Reaction score
Yes you can put them back in there. Just keep testing the water every day for a while because axies produce a lot of waste so there might not be quite enough bacteria to keep the ammonia and nitrite at 0 at first. And if you get any readings on those you need to do a water change. The bacteria will catch up pretty fast though.

JealousVixy

Reaction score
Aw thank you so much guys, im so happy ^_^ been waiting for ages and finally the tank is readyyyyyy :) is there any particular method you would use to put them back in? would you transfer them to a bag and float them like when you first get them, or would you gradually switch some of their water with tank water and then put them in with that, or would you just net them straight over??

auntiejude

Reaction score
If they are in tubs will the tubs float in the tank? This will equalise any difference in temperature, the changes in water chemistry will be negligible so you shouldn't need to worry about that.

JealousVixy

Reaction score
hmmm i'll have to lower the water level significantly in the tanks - they are in 26 L tubs - i could transfer them into smaller tubs?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yes, that would work. TBH I doubt if there is any significant temp difference the way you get with transporting tropical fish, so you could put them straight in if you're confident there is very little difference between the tubs and tank temperature.

JealousVixy

Reaction score
Ok cool, there wouldnt b too much difference i think. They are kept in the same room, just maybe the tank would be sloghtly cooler because it is bigger?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1